Monday, April 3, 2017

Favorite products!

One of the most frequent questions I get is about the products I like and would recommend.  I try to be budget conscious and give one salon grade product and then one you could find at a drug store.  In this post I will try my best to do that.  Below I posted all the links for the products, but you can also find them at your local Ulta.  If you ever are curious about a product send me and email or message. I have tried tons of different products and I hope to find something you like and that works best for you!

I will work my way through a few shampoos for different hair types and then put in a few styling products that I love.

Dry Hair: I recommend Matrix Biolage Ultra Hydration shampoo and conditioner. It has capuacu butter and apricot kernal oil in it. It is extremely hydrating and should only be used if your hair is extremely dry. Even then this shampoo and conditioner is not something I would recommend you use every day. You would use 2-3 times a week at the most.

Blondes:  I love Dumb Blonde by Bed Head. It comes with a shampoo and a Dumb Blonde recontrustor conditioner.  This is perfect for people with very blonde hair. Bleach can be taxing on the hair and Dumb Blonde helps rebuild those strands to help make them as strong as possible. If you have thinner or very fine hair, I would not recommend Dumb Blonde.  It will be too heavy and too much conditioning for your hair. My second favorite for blonde hair is Matrix Biolage Colorlast shampoo and Conditioner.  This is generally my go-to shampoo and conditioner. It makes my hair feel so healthy even with how much I do to my hair.  The conditioner isn't super heavy like some color safe conditioners can be. A bonus is both these products smell great!

Colored Hair: I would recommend the Bed Head Colour Goddess. It really does help lock in your color.  It is not a very heavy conditioner, so it is great for all types of hair. I also recommend Matrix Biolage Colorlast shampoo again, as it works great for blondes and colored hair.

Thin Hair: I like Biolage Volume Bloom.  While it is not going to make your hair crazy full, it does help give it a little more life.  This is also a great shampoo for just normal hair and would be a recommendation for someone looking for a middle of the line shampoo.

Curly Hair: It is hard for me to recommend a product for curly hair because I do not have curly hair, but I do have a several clients that do. They have been gracious to try products out and let me know what they think and how it worked for them.  Deva Curl is my first recommendation.  They have a whole kit that you can buy that includes a diffuser. Their products claim to fame is their No-Poo line.  The shampoo will not be very sudsy which does not dry out the hair. This does take people some getting use to as they feel like it isn't getting clean. (If you are a curly hair person stop washing your hair every day anyways. You will thank me later!)

Now on to styling products.

Pre Blow Drying:  I like to use either a mousse or a root lifter before I blow dry.  I have been very happy with Matrix Volume Builder for Mousse.  It has a 3 out of 5 on their hold scale, so it is very middle of the ground.  It is not super heavy or sticky and I have noticed when I am using it on my clients I can use it on most of them.  For a root lifter I recommend Guts by Redken. This product has been around forever and they have not done any tweaking to it. It is still is a top seller and works so well. If you have curly hair and you don't fully blow dry your hair, I would suggest Deva Curl mouse to help define your curls or Rusk Plumping mousse. If you have curly or frizzy hair or thick hair I recommend putting some oil in before you blow dry. Not only will this help your cuticle lay down, but it helps with drying time. On my clients I like to use Matrix Exquisite oil protective treatment before I blow dry. It smoothes the hair very well.

After Blow Drying: As I have mentioned in my video I like Rusk Working Hair spray. I use that before I curl hair.  It gives it some hold but then still allows you to have some play with it.  For a finishing spray I like Bed Head Masterpiece. It smells great, holds well, and does not leave your hair feeling sticky. Also, if you feel your hair needs it you can use a heat protectant spray. Two I would recommend are Biolage Thermal Spray and Not Your Mothers Beat the Heat spray.
If you do have frizzy ends or need a little oil to your hair at the end of your style I like to use the Matrix oil I mentioned above. ( If your hair is thin to not use this.)

Dry Shampoo: Dry shampoo is so popular these days. It is great for those days you don't wash your hair or if you do wash your hair and just need some extra volume.  My favorite is Living Proof Perfect Hair Day. It is a tad more expensive, but if you are picky with your dry shampoo this is a must. Another great one, that is more budget friendly but still gets great results, is Dove Hair Therapy Refresh!

This is a long post and a lot of information, but I hope that it answered some of your questions or can help you get the right product! Happy shopping!

No comments:

Post a Comment